Fall is in full swing! That means bonfires, football, sweater weather, and the holidays are right around the corner. We’ve got some exciting events coming your way this month, such as a hot chocolate bar, a DIY Pinterest night, a Thanksgiving dinner, and much more. Remember to check your email and follow our social media accounts regularly for event reminders so you don’t miss out!
Reminders & Updates
- Please don’t leave your trash out on your porch! This can result in a fine, and critters will tear into it and leave a mess.
- Office hours are Monday–Friday from 9 a.m.–6 p.m., Saturday from 11 a.m.–4 p.m., and Sunday from noon–4 p.m.
- Rent is due on the 1st of the month, and late fees will be applied on the 4th at 8:30 a.m.
- Please remember to lock your doors, even when you’re home. Use the buddy system when walking at night, and always tell your roommates where you’re going and when you plan to be back.
Building a Career in College
College is such a busy, crazy time for many people that focusing on the here and now is all most can do. Well, good news! There are several ways to incorporate career building into your everyday busy life. By taking the following steps, you’ll be on your way to creating a successful future for yourself:
- Visit your university’s career center. Employers are focusing more and more on experience and skills rather than just good grades. Get in touch with organizations through the career center to branch out and participate in different activities you normally wouldn’t have. This gives you a chance to explore your major and others, and see what you’re truly passionate about.
- Evaluate yourself. Your future employer will want to know why you’re a good fit for their company. College is about finding your strengths and weaknesses — take time now to figure out your skills, values, personality traits, and interests. Learning about yourself will help prepare you for interviews when you’re hit with the question, “What do you think you will excel at the most in this position?”
- Challenge yourself. The more you’re willing to get out of your comfort zone, the more likely you’re to overcome your weaknesses. Apply for the part-time job at your apartment complex you normally wouldn’t apply for, or take that theater class you’ve always wanted to take. By challenging yourself, you’re building important skills and personality traits that will help you rise within your field.
- Take your work seriously. Whether you have a part-time job or volunteer, take the experience seriously. You can use previous supervisors for references when you are beginning your career. It will pay off in the long run to succeed in the workplace by building useful skills that you’ll have for life.
- Find a mentor. Find someone who is doing what you want to do. You can search on LinkedIn to get connected and network with others in your field who are also passionate about what they do. Talk to your professors and pick their brains as to why they chose the career they did. Once you find a mentor, everything can change. You become more motivated to succeed in something you love doing because you have someone who makes the experience a million times better.
Community Events Calendar
Spooky Porch Contest Winner Announced — Wednesday, November 1 — Join us out back for hot chocolate and a bonfire! We’ll be announcing the winner of the Spooky Porch Contest.
Dinner on Us — Thursday, November 2 @ 5 p.m. — Stop by the office for dinner on us! Chat with a staff member about renewing your lease.
DIY Pinterest Crafts — Wednesday, November 8 @ 3 p.m. — Swing by the office for a Pinterest craft day! We’ll provide supplies for candle mason jars, but please feel free to bring supplies for any craft you would like to make.
Hot Chocolate Bar — Wednesday, November 15 @ 3 p.m. — Stop by the office for a build-your-own hot chocolate bar! We’ll have all of the goodies for you to put in a mason jar to take home and save for later.
Movie Night — Monday, November 27 @ 6:30 p.m. — Join us for movie night in the clubhouse! Bring a blanket, and we’ll provide the snacks and drinks.
Bonfire — Thursday, November 30 — Join us for our final bonfire of the season! We’ll have s’mores, hot dogs, hot chocolate, and more.