We can’t believe how quickly this year is flying by! If you haven’t renewed yet, don’t push it off. Now is the perfect time to lock in a great rate and discount, as well as to secure your spot before someone else signs for it! We have a ton of fun stuff going on this month at the clubhouse, so check out the events calendar in this newsletter for event info, as well as for important tips and reminders.
Tips for conserving energy:
- Set your thermostat to 68 degrees while you’re home, and set to 60 degrees when you’re away.
- Avoid changing the thermostat temperature more than two degrees at a time during the heating season unless you are going to be away for several days. Otherwise, the emergency or auxiliary heat will come on, which costs more. Generally, this shouldn’t come on unless it is less than 20 degrees outside.
- For windows that receive direct sunlight, keep shades open during the day and close them at night.
Reminders and Updates
- It’s almost Thanksgiving! Study hard and eat some awesome grub with your family and friends this holiday.
- DO NOT turn off your heat while you’re away for break. This will cause your pipes to freeze and can result in ruptures and a hefty repair bill for you.
- Leave cabinet doors open at all sinks and the faucet dripping if the temperature outside is especially cold. This will also help prevent pipes from freezing.
- Installments are due on the 1st. If you have been billed for any utility overages, that amount is also due with your current installment.
- If you have any concerns or questions about a utility overage bill, please contact Conservice customer service at (866) 254-4577 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Grayson Cottages does not handle utility billing, so we will not be able to give you any information other than the amount owed.
Building a Career in College
College is such a busy, crazy time for many people that focusing on the here and now is all most can do. Well, good news! There are several ways to incorporate career building into your everyday busy life. By taking the following steps, you’ll be on your way to creating a successful future for yourself:
- Check out the Career Success Portal. Did you know that your community offers you 24/7 access to millions of jobs and internships along with many tools to improve your resume and interviewing skills? Check out CareerSuccessPortal.com and create an account today!
- Visit your university’s career center. Employers are focusing more and more on experience and skills rather than just good grades. Get in touch with organizations through the career center to branch out and participate in different activities you normally wouldn’t have. This gives you a chance to explore your major and others, and see what you’re truly passionate about.
- Evaluate yourself. Your future employer will want to know why you’re a good fit for their company. College is about finding your strengths and weaknesses — take time now to figure out your skills, values, personality traits, and interests. Learning about yourself will help prepare you for interviews when you’re hit with the question, “What do you think you will excel at the most in this position?”
- Challenge yourself. The more you’re willing to get out of your comfort zone, the more likely you’re to overcome your weaknesses. Apply for the part-time job at your apartment complex you normally wouldn’t apply for, or take that theater class you’ve always wanted to take. By challenging yourself, you’re building important skills and personality traits that will help you rise within your field.
- Take your work seriously. Whether you have a part-time job or volunteer, take the experience seriously. You can use previous supervisors for references when you are beginning your career. It will pay off in the long run to succeed in the workplace by building useful skills that you’ll have for life.
- Find a mentor. Find someone who is doing what you want to do. You can search on LinkedIn to get connected and network with others in your field who are also passionate about what they do. Talk to your professors and pick their brains as to why they chose the career they did. Once you find a mentor, everything can change. You become more motivated to succeed in something you love doing because you have someone who makes the experience a million times better.
Did you know you can build your credit history just by paying your rent? A strong credit history can help you with achieving personal and professional success. We have partnered with RentTrack to offer you the opportunity to have your rent payments reported to all three credit bureaus! Participants in this program have seen their credit scores go up an average of 51 points! Get more details and enroll today at renttrack.com/campus-advantage.
Community Events Calendar
Tiger Pantry Food Drive — November 5–15 — Bring in donations to the clubhouse.
Apple Cider Day — Monday, November 18 from 10 a.m.–7 p.m. — Stop by the clubhouse for a warm Grayson mug of apple cider to celebrate Apple Cider Day!
Cottages Potluck — Thursday, November 21 from 5–7 p.m. — Join us in the clubhouse for a huge Grayson Cottages celebration of Thanksgiving with food and decorations.