That means cooler weather, football games, and bonfires! We’ve got some exciting events coming up this month, including our last Pool Bash of the season, a movie night, Guarantor Appreciation Day, a cooking class, and LinkedIn Photo Night. Remember to check your email and our social media accounts regularly for event reminders so you don’t miss out.
Reminders & Updates
- Join our Relay For Life Team! Simply search for “Grayson Cottages” on the Relay For Life homepage and help us reach our goal of $1,000!
- Please don’t leave your trash out on your porch! You can be charged for doing this, and raccoons and other critters will tear into the bags and leave trash everywhere.
- Office hours are Monday–Friday from 9 a.m.–6 p.m., Saturday from 11 a.m.–4 p.m., and Sunday from noon–4 p.m.
- Rent is due on the 1st of the month, and late fees will be applied on the 4th at 8:30 a.m.
- Don’t forget to check out our website for upcoming blog posts!
Tips on Living with Roommates!
Perhaps one of the greatest advantages of living in a Campus Advantage community is the opportunity to live and work closely with all types of people. We know that living with roommates isn’t always easy, whether you moved in with friends or were matched up with new people. Either way, it’s perfectly normal to have the occasional roommate conflict, and there’s actually a lot to be gained from handling a difficult situation maturely and respectfully.
We want to make sure you have the tools to handle these situations should they arise, so check out the tips below to ensure you and your roommates have the best living experience possible this year:
- Schedule a roommate meeting: Set up a time for all roommates to get together and have a proactive conversation about each person’s preferences and expectations when it comes to cleanliness, guests, sleeping/study times, the use of others belongings or food, etc.
- Be open minded: You and your roommates may be very different, and that’s OK! Stay open minded and positive about your roommates’ views and experiences, and you may end up learning a lot about them and yourself in the process.
- Give each other space: Even though your apartment is made for multiple people, everyone appreciates having space to themselves once in a while. Make sure you’re sharing time in common areas and respecting each other’s privacy.
- When in doubt, talk it out: Most problems can be solved by just talking through the issue before it gets out of hand. If something is seriously bugging you about one of your roommates, bring it to them in a mature one-on-one conversation before bringing in other roommates or escalating the situation. Passive-aggressive behaviors won’t help.
- Divide responsibilities: While every roommate should commit to cleaning up after themselves, determine the best way to divide other responsibilities, such as taking out the trash, vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen, etc., to ensure everyone plays their part.
- Use conflict resolution backup: While talking can usually fix an issue in its early stages, sometimes a more structured approach is necessary. If you’ve tried and feel your efforts aren’t helping resolve an issue between roommates, reach out to your Community Assistant or the management team to help you brainstorm options. The management team is trained and willing to help conduct a roommate mediation process if necessary, but is also happy to provide you with tips and tools to handle it yourself.
We want you to have a successful living experience while at our community, but we know that living with roommates can mean an occasional difference of opinion. When roommates decide to communicate their expectations, listen and try to understand each other, and care about each other’s well-being, the many great memories you make will outweigh any small conflict you may have.
Community Events Calendar
Pool Bash — Saturday, September 2 @ noon — Join us for our last Pool Bash of the season! We’ll provide food and beverages.
National Cheese Pizza Day — Tuesday, September 5 @ noon — Stop by the clubhouse for a pizza lunch on us! We’ll be celebrating National Cheese Pizza Day with cheese (and other) types of pizza!
Movie & Game Night — Thursday, September 14 — Join us for a movie and game night at the clubhouse! We’ll be taking requests for movies and games.
Guarantor Appreciation Day — Saturday, September 16 from noon–3 p.m. — Stop by the office with your parents for some treats and giveaways!
Bonfire — Wednesday, September 20 @ 8 p.m. — Join us for a bonfire and s’mores out back!
Cooking Night — Monday, September 25 @ 7 p.m. — Stop by the clubhouse for a cooking tutorial from Community Assistant Murphy!
LinkedIn Photo Night — Thursday, September 28 @ 5 p.m. — Stop by the clubhouse to get a professional LinkedIn head shot!