Move-in has ended, school has begun, and we have some fantastic events coming up for you to meet your neighbors and make some friends. This month, we’ll have events such as Swap Shop, LinkedIn Headshots, Yappy Hour, Ballin’ on a Budget, and the Tiger Tailgate and Extravaganza, as well as celebrate National Coloring, Cheeseburger, and Coffee Days. Make sure to stop by the clubhouse and meet our staff — we love all of our residents and look forward to a great year ahead. Follow us on Instagram for exclusive giveaways happening throughout the month. Remember to check your email and stay up to date on our social media so you don’t miss important updates.
We love you enjoying our amenities, but please remember there is no glass allowed at our pool.
Reminders and Updates
- Join our Relay For Life Team! Simply search for “Grayson Cottages” on the Relay For Life homepage and help us reach our goal of $1,000!
- Please don’t leave your trash out on your porch! You will be charged for doing this, and raccoons and other critters can tear into the bags and leave trash everywhere. A dumpster is located at the back of the property near 1619 for your convenience.
- Rent is due on the 1st of the month, and late fees will be applied on the 4th at 1 p.m. when the office opens. Please call us if you have questions on how to set up recurring payments on your portal.
- Please help us keep our community beautiful! Please pick up your dog’s waste and place it in the proper stations located throughout the property. Failure to do so will result in a fine.
- For our residents with furry friends, please remember that if you’re hot, your furry friends are also hot.
Tips on Living with Roommates!
Perhaps one of the greatest advantages of living in a Campus Advantage community is the opportunity to live and work closely with all types of people. We know that living with roommates isn’t always easy, whether you moved in with friends or were matched up with new people. Either way, it’s perfectly normal to have the occasional roommate conflict, and there’s actually a lot to be gained from handling a difficult situation maturely and respectfully.
We want to make sure you have the tools to handle these situations should they arise, so check out the tips below to ensure you and your roommates have the best living experience possible this year:
- Schedule a roommate meeting: Set up a time for all roommates to get together and have a proactive conversation about each person’s preferences and expectations when it comes to cleanliness, guests, sleeping/study times, the use of others belongings or food, etc.
- Be open minded: You and your roommates may be very different, and that’s OK! Stay open minded and positive about your roommates’ views and experiences, and you may end up learning a lot about them and yourself in the process.
- Give each other space: Even though your apartment is made for multiple people, everyone appreciates having space to themselves once in a while. Make sure you’re sharing time in common areas and respecting each other’s privacy.
- When in doubt, talk it out: Most problems can be solved by just talking through the issue before it gets out of hand. If something is seriously bugging you about one of your roommates, bring it to them in a mature one-on-one conversation before bringing in other roommates or escalating the situation. Passive-aggressive behaviors won’t help.
- Divide responsibilities: While every roommate should commit to cleaning up after themselves, determine the best way to divide other responsibilities, such as taking out the trash, vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen, etc., to ensure everyone plays their part.
- Use conflict resolution backup: While talking can usually fix an issue in its early stages, sometimes a more structured approach is necessary. If you’ve tried and feel your efforts aren’t helping resolve an issue between roommates, reach out to your Community Assistant or the management team to help you brainstorm options. The management team is trained and willing to help conduct a roommate mediation process if necessary, but is also happy to provide you with tips and tools to handle it yourself.
We want you to have a successful living experience while at our community, but we know that living with roommates can mean an occasional difference of opinion. When roommates decide to communicate their expectations, listen and try to understand each other, and care about each other’s well-being, the many great memories you make will outweigh any small conflict you may have.
Community Events Calendar
Swap Shop Saturday — Saturday, September 1 from noon–4 p.m. — Come swap some of your gently used clothing items with other residents. Mingle and swap with your neighbors for some rad new threads!
LinkedIn Headshots — Wednesday, September 5 from 5–7 p.m. — Join us and start off the academic year right by getting a headshot for your LinkedIn profile and resume.
Yappy Hour — Friday, September 7 — It’s a pawty! We welcomed all the residents and now it’s time to welcome your furry friends to the neighborhood! Bring your pup to the clubhouse to meet their neighbors, enjoy some treats, and get unlimited belly rubs!
Back-to-School Breakfast Bonanza — Monday, September 10 — In honor of Better Breakfast Month, we would like to help you start your day off right! We’ll be providing breakfast on the go to all of our residents.
Ballin’ on a Budget — Wednesday, September 12 — Knowing how to budget yourself is a very important skill to ensure future financial success. We’re going to help you understand how to budget to help you steer clear of financial stress throughout the year
National Coloring Day — Friday, September 14 — Embrace your inner child! Bring your artistic talents to the clubhouse, where we’ll have coloring books and pages set up for your enjoyment.
Tiger Tailgate Dinner and Watch Extravaganza — Saturday, September 15 — Grab some friends and food, and watch the Mizzou Tigers smash the Purdue Boilermakers!
Tiger Tailgate Dinner and Watch Extravaganza — September 16–22 — Keep an eye on our social media for some ways to win an amazing prize.
National Cheeseburger Day — Tuesday, September 18 — Join us at the clubhouse to enjoy a burger or two with your neighbors in honor of National Cheeseburger Day.
Birthday Cookies — Thursday, September 20 — Happy birthday to all of our residents with birthdays in September from all of us at Grayson Cottages.
National Voter Registration Day — Tuesday, September 25 — Join us at the clubhouse to register to vote online.
National Coffee Day — Saturday, September 29 from 5–7 p.m. — Join us at the clubhouse to celebrate National Coffee Day from some of your favorite coffee shops.