Happy New Year! That means a fresh start with classes, health, and other resolutions. We’re so excited to welcome you back to your home away from home. We’ve got some exciting events coming up this month, including Welcome Week events each day during the first week of classes, and be sure to keep an eye on our Instagram on January 22 for a weeklong contest — you could be the winner! And if you have a January birthday, be on the lookout for a CA who will be delivering birthday cookies to your door on January 23! Remember to check your email and our social media accounts regularly for event reminders so you don’t miss out. Good luck to our students on your first week back to classes!
Reminders & Updates
- Join our Relay For Life Team! Simply search for “Grayson Cottages” on the Relay For Life home page, and help us reach our goal of $1,000!
- Check out our newly renovated gym! The entire clubhouse, including the gym, is available to you 24/7.
- Please don’t leave your trash out on your porch! You can be charged for doing this, and raccoons and other critters will tear into the bags and leave trash everywhere. A dumpster is located at the back of the property near 1619 for your convenience.
- We have new office hours. The office is now open Monday–Friday from 10 a.m.–7 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m.–5 p.m., and Sunday from 1–5 p.m.
- Rent is due on the 1st of the month, and late fees will be applied on the 4th at 10 a.m. when the office opens. Please call us if you have questions on how to set up recurring payments on your portal.
- Please leave your heat on and set to a MINIMUM of 65 degrees. Turning your heat off or setting it lower than 65 can result in frozen pipes and will cause damage to your unit. You will be charged for any damage in your unit if you fail to leave your heat on the appropriate temperature.
Written by Megan McCollum
You’ve conquered your final exams, spent time with family, and brought in the new year with friends. But now what? How do you ensure that you’ll be at the top of your game with a new course load when you’re so used to relaxing at home?
Here’s a hint: Start now. Buy your books, find your classrooms, spend some time cleaning your room and clearing your desk.
As the fall semester probably taught you, college flies by. There’s no time to slowly ease back into it — take a deep breath, prepare your mind, and dive in. Don’t just take it day by day; create a study schedule, make some friends and form a study group, and talk to your advisor and get to know them.
There are thousands of resources at your fingertips just waiting to be used. For example, places to study. Trying to focus in your bedroom with your roommates around and electronics everywhere is hard, so take advantage of your property’s clubhouses and study rooms, as well as places on campus.
Once you’ve found your perfect study place, it’s time to use the resources available to you. College students today rely on technology for almost everything, from textbooks to full online courses and online study materials. There are even some apps that can be used to help you study, such as iTunes U and Brainscape. If you aren’t using your cell phone to study, turn it off — social media will be there when you’re done, but your professor won’t wait around for you to learn.
If you find yourself procrastinating, take a deep breath, and ask yourself why this assignment is important. Don’t ask why you don’t want to do it; ask yourself what you will benefit from it. Ask yourself what you can learn, and why it’s meaningful.
Reward yourself with something you can truly withhold from yourself if you don’t complete the task. Offering yourself candy or saying you won’t go to that show if you don’t write your paper isn’t meaningful enough to motivate you. Find something you truly want, and when you reward yourself, notice how it feels.
Don’t settle for less. Don’t wait for things to just work out. Start now.
Community Events Calendar
Bingo — Tuesday, January 16 @ 6 p.m. — Stop by for a resident favorite: bingo! Come play for your chance to win grocery/household items.
New Year’s Lanterns — Wednesday, January 17 @ 6:30 p.m. — Join us by the pool to write your New Year’s resolutions on a lantern and send it off!
Dinner on Us — Thursday, January 18 @ 5 p.m. — Stop by the office for a catered dinner on us! Bring your appetite and any questions you have about renewing your lease.
Sandwich Bar — Friday, January 19 @ noon — Stop by the office for a build-your-own-sandwich bar! We’ll have various deli meats, cheeses, condiments, and breads. We can’t wait to see you there!
Instagram Contest — January 22–26 — Post a picture of your favorite spot at Grayson Cottages on Instagram, tag us, and you could win a Visa gift card!
January Birthday Cookies — Tuesday, January 23 — A Community Assistant will be delivering a sweet treat to residents with January birthdays!
Resume-Building Class — Monday, January 29 @ 3 p.m. — Join us for a resume-building class! Learn tips and tricks that will help beef up your resume to help you land your dream job.
Trivia Night — Wednesday, January 31 @ 6:30 p.m. — Come out for trivia night! Kick back and hang out with fellow residents while playing Jeopardy.